Saturday, November 14, 2015

Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long Week 7

This week's blocks were #2 Aimee and #76 Nancy



#2 Aimee



I foundation paper pieced (FPP) this one.  If a block has a shape that is not a triange or rectange, I will FPP it.  

On Gnome Angel's website, gnomeangel.com, she referred to a tutorial on another blog where you use freezer paper to FPP.  With this technique you create the sewing lines on the freezer with your sewing machine.  Another difference with this technique is that you fold back the freezer paper and sew next to the fold so no need to rip off the paper.  Please refer to this blog http://woodenspoonquilts.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/grannytutorialblock41.html for specifics.

Well, I didn't care for the technique.  After completing my first portion of the block, there was a pucker. Since it was a process that I was not familiar with I also used a lot more fabric.  The ripping off of the papers never bothered me as it does others.

I am very pleased with the block.  Love the stripes

#76 Nancy



I am SO happy with this block.  I have been wanting to use the black and white fabric for weeks.  Last week I tried to use it in #57- Margret but it was, as the kids say, an epic failure.  Just needed to wait for  the right block.

This week's Tip

There have been 3 techniques I've used to assemle the blocks, rotary cutting, foundation paper piecing and applique.  Many people are goi ng a different route and are using the Marti Mitchell Templates.  

One of the nice perks of the MM templates is that the corners are clipped at just the right spot and angle for easy piecing.  I have just the tool for this without having to purchase the templates, Judy Martins Ultimate Point Trimmer. 


It took me a bit to get used to how to set up the pieces to trim but now I don't know how I would live without this little tool!






No comments:

Post a Comment