Friday, March 25, 2011

Always Learning

So last weekend was a big learning weekend for me.  It was GREAT!


I was stalled on the new "trial" quilt I am working on so I decided to work on my quilting by practicing on some potholders.  I have been wanting to quilt some feathers on quilts but have been to intimidated.  This was my chance!  It went quite well.  I did the round feather pattern and they actually turned out.  Here is how they look.  With a little bit more practice and think the will look very nice.

Regarding my stall on the trial quilt, it was because I needed just the right fabric for the outside of the center portion of the quilt.  It is a bit of a tricky wicket as this fabric touches all of the other fabrics in the quilt.  I knew what just what I wanted and didn't have it in my stash.  Off to the fabric store.  Our plans for Saturday were to have lunch with my Mom and Dad then run around and look for Mighty Beanz.  When the boys ran to Toys R Us, DD and I ran into Hancocks.  I bought a fabric that I thought would work.

When I got home and started cutting out the pieces, I realized it just wasn't the right fabric, it was a bit too bright.  So what does one do when the yellowish tan is too bright?  You throw it in your coffee that is left over from the morning.  PERFECT!  It's almost the exact color.  I was so excited that I wanted DH to come and see.  He kept asking me, "What's burning?"  He must have asked 3 times even though I kept telling him nothing.  In my excitement I didn't really rinse well nor dry my test piece so I guess I burnt the coffee a bit as I was pressing it.  Anyway off I was to making more coffee dyed fabric.  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment