Sunday, October 25, 2015

Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long Week 4

All day on Monday I was trolling GnomeAngel.com for the first block being released this week.  After all the waiting I was very excited to work on the released block only to have to wait until Thursday to get started.  At my quilt meeting on Tuesday morning I volunteered to do an "emergency" Prayers and Squares backing.  Then on Wednesday with Sarah's giving her faith statement along with the rest of the hectic day, quilting was just not in the cards.

This weeks blocks are #78 Old Maid, #94 Susannah, and #49 Katherine

Here is the first block I attempted, Old Maid:
This is my first attempt.  After completing when I measured, it was 6 3/4" square rather than 6 1/2".  So what does one do but trim.  When trimming was completed the sides only had about 1/8" seem allowance without cutting into the points.  This was not acceptable so I started another.

Reviewing the color I decided to change the green and leave the solid I used in the first attempt for a multicolor block, more versatile.  This time I trimmed as I went so it only ended up 1/8" too big on each side.  I know why, when cutting the quarter square triangles, the suggested size they large so allows for trimming.  Even though I trimmed the center of the block the edges were long.  I trimmed a bit and called it acceptable.

#94 Susannah

#49 Katherine

Here are all of the blocks so far.  The bottom block's green is questionable.  As the quilt progresses, if it still sticks out like a sore thumb I will redo with other fabrics

No comments:

Post a Comment