Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long Week 5

#41-Granny and #44- Jenny


So the first block is #41- Granny

I love the use of large pieces of fabric in this block.  I also thought it would be a great use of directional fabrics.  Since the fabrics in this quilt is leftover from Sarah's quilt and her quilt had no directional fabric restrictions, I have quite a few of these fabrics.

After seeing a completed QAL block that the larger pieces were not pieced, I really liked that idea.  With further review of a couple of "non-pieced" blocks I noticed that they were appliqued.  This was quite exciting for me as I have been wanting to try some new appluque tricks I had learned.

Here are most of the items I used to make this block.

First I cut my triangle.  For this I just cut out the triange, adding 1/4" seam allowance, from the diagram off the cd.  Then I prepared my applique piece.

NEW TRICK #1- Using 3 layers of freezer paper as the applique shape.  Pressing 3 layers on top of each othe makes a nice, stiff pattern piece.  I then had the plastic side of the freezer paper pattern piece to press to my fabric.  It worked wonders!

TRICK #2-  Next I used a paint brush to apply starch to both sides of the applique piece.  Then pressed it over with the iron.

Finished piece:

Next I used Elmer to place the piece:

The pressed it in place.

This is what it looked like once sewnin place:

Next I removed the paper, pried apart the pieced I had used Elmer on, then cut the green in the corner and pressed the seams open.  I wanted to press the seams open so that it didn't look appliqued.

Finished one quarter.

Here is the finished block.  I am very pleased.

Now for #45-Jenny

This one was far less exciting but no less loved. I did stumbled a bit before reading the tutorial. I put the center triangles together and then tried to add the outside but then I had Y seams to deal with. The tutorial I go to the outside parallelogram and triangle first, making it a triangle. Then you put the four triangles together. Note to self read the tutorial first, much easier.

Here are all of the blocks so far.













No comments:

Post a Comment