Friday, January 14, 2011

A little quilt history


This time of year always brings me back to my marathon hospital stay.  It was 8 years ago last month that I was admitted for the 78 day stay.  I’m not exactly sure of the timing but about this time of the year I started getting “squishies” in the mail at the hospital.  I had no clue what was going on but boy was it wonderful.  Later to find out, one of the members of my quilting group suggested that members make 6” blocks in bright colors.  It was fun to get them pretty much daily.  The volunteer who delivered the mail would bound into my room and say, “Mrs. Wlazlo, you’ve got mail!”

I started showing the blocks to everyone.  One of my nurses, wish I could remember which one, suggested that we pin them to a towel and tape the towel to the wall.  By the time we were all done, we had 3 towels covered in blocks.  Boy was it ever a conversation piece.  Everyone who came into my room commented on them and wanted to know the story behind them.  I explained that I was a quilter and how my quilt group was sending them.  What a lovely experience; a sort of support that cannot be described in words. 

Fast forward 5 years, quilts finished.  Here is the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment